Monday, December 21, 2009

A Few Words Of Encouragement

As we mentioned earlier, in addition to food, we'd like to use this blog to share our experiences as entrepreneurs as well.

This weekend, I had the opportunity to discuss the differences between entrepreneurship and what I like to call the "W-2 lifestyle" with a few friends. There are some definite perks to having a W-2 job, but I'd like to encourage our fellow entreprenuers to stay the course. One of the things I noticed in my conversations this week is that, for the most part, we entrepreneurs struggle through the first few years of the start-up phase, watching our friends get promotion after promotion, while we struggle to establish some stability in our businesses. Yes, it is a little depressing at times, but once we get to our late 30's we begin to see things change. Our W-2 friends usually plateau at some point - finding it harder to get the next promotion and really set themselves apart from their peers in making the type of money they'd like to make, and living the way they'd like to live. Entrepreneurs on the other hand, having struggled through the early phases, begin to see the money and stability that we so longed for early on, finally match that of our peers. Now here's the really exciting part.... As the years progress, our opportunities for wealth and work-life balance increase dramatically. While our conterparts are required to work much harder to keep the stability and income they've grown accustomed to, we entrepreneurs should find it easier to grow our wealth and relish in the stability we've created, despite the chaos we lived through years ago. With those odds, I for one am encouraged to stay the course...I hope you are too.

1 comment:

  1. Great perspective! I will most certainly being staying the course. I must say, you have an amazing and special "thing" going and I cannot wait to see your business explode.

    ReplyDelete